I adapted this recipe from my Italian Mother-In-Law. Don't be intimidated by all the ingredients, it's actually quite easy because it all goes directly into the slow cooker. It's unusual, but wonderful--and it goes great with pita bread!
Slow Cooker Mediterranean Seafood Stew
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 (14.5 oz) can of diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 (14 oz) cans of reduced sodium chicken stock (or if you have homemade stock, use that instead)
- 1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1/4 cup sliced back olives
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine vinegar
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/4 tsp crushed fennel seeds
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and de-veined
- 1 pound of cod fillets, cubed
- Place the chopped onion, chopped green bell pepper, minced garlic, diced tomatoes, chicken stock, tomato sauce, mushrooms, olives, orange juice, dry white wine vinegar, bay leaves, crushed fennel seeds, and black pepper in a slow cooker. Cover and cook on low heat for 4 to 4 1/2 hours (or until vegetables are crisp, yet tender), and stir occasionally.
- In the last 15 to 30 minutes of cooking, stir in the shrimp and cod. Cover, and cook until the shrimp are opaque pink and the cod is opaque white. Discard the bay leaves before serving. Serve warm.
Submitted by shupe87